Integrative Medicine, Core Values and Proven Methods
Integrative Medicine provides care that combines the best of traditional or conventional medical care with more natural approaches. With patient interest and desire, most if not all conditions can be approached in an integrative manner. Most commonly however, care is focused on:
• Health promotion (healthy patients wishing to augment their current health status)
• Behavioral conditions
• Weight loss
• Chronic Fatigue
Treatment includes a variety of options, for example:
Modification of sleep hygiene
The American Holistic Medicine Association reflects our philosophy succinctly in their stated principles :
1. Optimal Health is the conscious pursuit of the highest level of functioning and balance of the physical , environmental ,
mental, emotional , social and spiritual aspects of human experience , resulting in a dynamic state of being fully alive .
2. The Healing Power of Love. Holistic health care practitioners strive to meet the patient with grace , kindness , acceptance ,and spirit
without condition , as love is life's most powerful healer
3. Whole Person. Holistic health care practitioners view people as the unity of body, mind, spirit and the systems in which they live.
4.Prevention and Treatment. A holistic approach relieves symptoms , modifies contributing factors , and enhances the patient's
life system to optimize future well-being.
5. Innate Healing Power. All people have innate powers of healing in their bodies, minds and spirits.
6. Integration of Healing Systems. The realm of choices for treatment may include lifestyle modification and complementary approaches as well as conventional drugs and surgery.
7. Relationship-centered Care .The ideal practitioner-patient relationship is a partnership which encourages patient autonomy,
and values the needs and insights of both parties.
8. Individuality. Holistic health care practitioners focus patient care on the unique needs and nature of the person who has an illness
rather than the illness that has the person.
Modified and reprinted with permission from the American Holistic Medical Association.